Saturday, August 31, 2013

Living After the Manner of Happiness: Fasting

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the first Sunday of every month is what we call "Fast Sunday."  On these Sundays members go without food or water for at least 2 meals.  We then donate the money we would have spent on those meals.  This money is used to assist the poor and needy.
 
The purpose behind fasting is to draw closer to our Heavenly Father and to seek blessings from His hand.  We become more sensitive to the Holy Ghost because we are submitting our physical needs to our spirits.

Our Savior Jesus Christ set the example of fasting.  He fasted for 40 days (see Matthew 4:2) and during His great Sermon on the Mount he taught us to fast and give alms, or offerings, privately so that our "Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." (see Matthew 6:1-4,16-18)

I love the story of the widow's mite.  I have consistently seen in my life that when I give a generous fast offering, even when I'm tight on money, the Lord always, without fail, blesses me generously.


In modern revelation fasting has been equated with rejoicing.  (see D&C 59:14)  I know that we will find great strength and joy in our lives as we live the law of the fast and as we each give our equivalent of the widow's mite to care for the poor and the needy.

I am grateful for the opportunity to fast.  There are rich blessings in store for us and for others as we live this divine law.

No comments:

Post a Comment