Saturday, September 28, 2013

Living After the Manner of Happiness: Goals

Alright y'all this is the last post for my series "Living After the Manner of Happiness."  I would like to think this blog series has been instructive and inspiring, but at the very least I hope it has been relatively interesting.  For this last post I will be talking about goals.
 
Why are goals important?  How does setting a goal and achieving it bring happiness into our lives?  I think this MormonAd illustrates the importance of goals quite well:


Goals give us purpose.  They give us something to work towards.  I feel immense satisfaction when I set a goal and I actually accomplish it.  I've decided that there's no faster way to become depressed than constantly feeling like a failure because you didn't achieve your goal.
 
One of my favorite quotes about goal setting is by Elder M. Russell Ballard. He said:
“I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life.”

Each and every single one of us have so much potential.  There is so much we can accomplish in this life.  As we set goals and do everything we can to accomplish them, we can reach our full potential.  Our lives will be filled with happiness and satisfaction as we consistently and diligently do everything within our power to achieve our goals.


Our ultimate goal should be to live with our Heavenly Father again.  If we can keep this most important goal in our minds, the way we live our lives will be a reflection of this goal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment