Thursday, April 11, 2013

Living After the Manner of Happiness: Work

The summer after my freshman year of college was quite possibly the worst summer of my life.  Probably because I was the biggest bum known to mankind.  I didn't have a job and didn't put forth much effort to find one.  I would stay up really late and sleep in until 1:00 or so in the afternoon.  I wasn't very pleasant to be around because I was negative, impatient, and lazy.

But I learned a valuable lesson from my entirely unproductive summer.  I learned that I will never, ever find happiness and satisfaction in life from laziness and idleness.  Elder D. Todd Christofferson taught, "Work builds and refines character, creates beauty, and is the instrument of our service to one another and to God."

Through our hard work and service we can be the source of bringing about much good in our lives and the lives of others.  I quite like Captain Moroni's admonition that we "be up and doing."  The Lord told Joseph Smith that "men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness." (D&C 58:27)

Isaiah prophesied that the Lord would "proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder." (Isaiah 29:14)  We can all be part of that "marvelous work and a wonder" as we participate in missionary work, family history work, as we look for opportunities to serve others, and work to strengthen our families.

The Savior told us, "Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest." (John 4:35)  He's telling us that there is work to be done and He's giving us an opportunity to be a part of it.  I know we will find happiness and satisfaction in our lives as we "thrust in [our] sickles, and reap with all [our] might, mind, and strength." (D&C 33:7)  Let's get to work!


 

1 comment:

  1. You will have to save these - this would make a good talk basis :) Now, I should get off this darn computer and do some of the stuff you talked about!!

    ReplyDelete