Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Truth Shall Make You Free

The Savior once told a group of his followers, "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  (John 8:31-32)

I am thoroughly convinced that we will never be able to fully progress in life if we don't accept and embrace certain truths.  These truths are what set us free from any doubts or sins that hold us back.

One truth that is essential for us to understand is that we are children of God.  As we embrace this truth we gain a confidence that we are of worth and value.  President Dieter F. Uchtdorf once said, "Brothers and sisters, the most powerful Being in the universe is the Father of your spirit. He knows you. He loves you with a perfect love."  How could our lives be changed if we more fully believed this one most basic truth?

Another truth that sets us free is the understanding that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can repent and be forgiven of our sins.  This truth enables us to correct any behaviors or thoughts that are not in line with the Lord's standards and enjoy the freedom that comes as we keep the commandments of God.

I love what the third verse of the Battle Hymn of the Republic says:

In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me.
As he died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,
While God is marching on.
 
We can help to make men free as we share these precious gospel truths with others.  I feel so blessed to be a full-time missionary because I get to witness people experience the liberating power of the Atonement.  The gospel of Jesus Christ truly changes lives.  I have seen it time and time again, including in my own life.

The Savior taught, "I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life." (John 14:6)  It is only through Jesus Christ that we can truly be free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment