Saturday, July 20, 2013

Walking On Water

Growing up, I spent a lot of summer break in the pool we had in our backyard.  My parents had bought a really nice pool cover that we could open and close automatically.  My parents told us that the pool cover was so high quality that it could hold an elephant.  (I'm pretty sure they made that up.)  But we were convinced and had almost as much fun running across the pool cover as we did actually swimming in the pool.  I think I liked it so much because that was the closest I have ever gotten to actually "walking on water."

Recently I was at a meeting with a bunch of other missionaries and our mission president and we actually read through the story of Jesus walking on water.  Here's the account of it from Matthew 14
25. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. 
26. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out with fear. 
27. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29. And he said, Come.  And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
30. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. 

What I realized in reading through this account is that Peter understood that Christ has the power to save us.  We call Him the "Savior" because we know that if we call out "Lord, save me!" like Peter did, He will come to our rescue.

But I think that maybe Peter didn't fully realize that Christ not only can save us, but He can also empower us to do miraculous things, like walking on water.

I believe many of us can relate with Peter.  I certainly can.  I have a strong testimony that the Lord can rescue me from sin, sorrow, loneliness, pain, etc.  I know He can save us.  I have faith in His saving power.  But I am not so sure that I understand His enabling power. 

Elder David A. Bednar taught, "The enabling and strengthening aspect of the Atonement helps us to see and to do and to become good in ways that we could never recognize or accomplish with our limited mortal capacity."

Peter recognized that in his limited mortal capacity there was no way he could walk on water, especially in the midst of boisterously blowing winds, and so he began to sink.  The same goes for us.  But as we look steadfastly to Christ as our source of strength and power I know we will begin to see changes and miracles within ourselves.  We will be able to confidently say, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment