Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Living After the Manner of Happiness: Prayer

In the Book of Mormon there's a beautiful account of the Savior Jesus Christ visiting the people of the ancient Americas.  During his visit, the Lord teaches, heals, and prays for the people.  The account says, "And no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father." (3 Nephi 17:17)


I've found that there is a lot of joy that comes to us as we pray specifically for others, and as we also hear others pray for us.

Growing up, my parents were always really good at having a family prayer every morning and night.  And I remember that sometimes when my mom prayed, she would individually pray for each one of her children and pray specifically for what they needed at that time.  Whenever I would realize what she was doing, I would get excited and anxiously wait to hear what she was going to pray for for me. 

My mom's example of specific prayers really influenced me.  One day when I was in high school, I can remember telling myself that I was going to pray specifically for my parents and each one of my siblings, just like my mom did.  And I had a really powerful experience as I considered carefully the needs of my family and then prayed for each one of them. 

Elder David A. Bednar taught, "Prayer becomes more meaningful as we pray for others with real intent and a sincere heart."  I know that we will feel peace and happiness as we turn to our Father in Heaven in humble prayer.  And we can be more like the Savior as we turn outward and pray for the welfare of those around us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment