Thursday, March 7, 2013

Living After the Manner of Happiness: Repentance

The Book of Mormon prophet Alma taught his son Corianton that "wickedness never was happiness."  If we are all striving to live after the manner of happiness, wickedness clearly is not the answer.  It is through a life of righteous living that true peace, joy, and happiness are experienced.

But what about those times when we sin and make mistakes?  Is all hope for happiness lost?  Not at all. 

Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can all repent and receive forgiveness of our sins.  For a long time I always thought of repentance as a scary thing because I thought I would just be punished or rebuked or struck down with a bolt of lightning because I had done something bad.  But as I have come to learn and understand more about repentance I have experienced the peace and happiness available to us as we put our lives back in harmony with God.

Elder D. Todd Christofferson said, "Without repentance, there is no real progress or improvement in life. Pretending there is no sin does not lessen its burden and pain. Suffering for sin does not by itself change anything for the better. Only repentance leads to the sunlit uplands of a better life. And, of course, only through repentance do we gain access to the atoning grace of Jesus Christ and salvation. Repentance is a divine gift, and there should be a smile on our faces when we speak of it. It points us to freedom, confidence, and peace. Rather than interrupting the celebration, the gift of repentance is the cause for true celebration."

I know for myself that repentance can change lives.  My view of God, others, and myself have changed as I have repented and changed those thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors that were not in harmony with God's will.  I have experienced happiness as I have utilized the divine gift of repentance throught the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  And I have learned that our Savior wants us to come to Him and be made whole. 

"The Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.  And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.  And how great is his joy in the sould that repenteth!"  (D&C 18:11-13)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment