Saturday, March 30, 2013

"Why Weepest Thou?"

For a long time Easter provoked thoughts of warm Spring weather, coloring hard boiled eggs, lots of chocolate, Peeps shaped like bunnies or chicks, and an Easter egg hunt.  Of course I knew that Easter is a time to reflect on the life of the Savior, a time to celebrate His Atonement and Resurrection.

It's been an interesting process because as I've come to learn and understand more about my Savior Jesus Christ, and as I've had an increasing need to apply His Atonement in my life, Easter has become far more meaningful and significant to me.  Easter now evokes images of a garden, a cross, and an empty tomb in my mind.

As I have had experiences with the power of the Atonement, and have seen that power in the lives of others, I have learned that whether we have sinned, or lost a loved one, or been hurt deeply, or felt abandoned, or all of the above, I have realized that every single tear we shed will be wiped away by our Savior.  He took upon Himself all of our pains and our afflictions so that He could succor and care for each one of us. (see Alma 7:11-12)

Twice while Mary Magdalene was at the Garden tomb she was asked, "Why weepest thou?" (see John 20:13-17).  She then saw the risen Lord.  I imagine that after that singular experience she gained a greater insight into something the prophet Isaiah said: "He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces." (Isaiah 25:8)


The Savior was once called "the consolation of Israel."  He is our source of comfort and relief.  Christ told us, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (Luke 14:27)

As we go through our personal trials and challenges, we can each ask ourselves, "Why weepest thou?" and find comfort and peace in the knowledge that the Savior conquered death and sin.  He will wipe away all our tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment