Saturday, February 2, 2013

Faith to Move Mountains

When I was younger I used to wonder if I had enough faith to move a mountain.  Jesus said, "If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."  (Matthew 17:20)

Now I knew when I was little that a mustard seed was really, really small.  And I was pretty sure that my faith was bigger than a tiny mustard seed.  But I was always a little nervous about going outside to try to move a mountain because what would it mean about my faith if it didn't move?  (I suppose the greater concern should have been: Where would I have put the mountain?)  If the mountain didn't move, would that mean I had next to no faith?

Well my perspective on this scripture changed after hearing a talk by Bishop Richard C. Edgely during the October 2010 General Conference.  Here's the quote that rocked my world:

"I have never witnessed the removal of an actual mountain.  But because of faith I have seen a mountain of doubt and despair removed and replaced with hope and optimism.  Because of faith I have personally witnessed a mountain of sin replaced with repentance and forgiveness.  And because of faith I have personally witnessed a mountain of pain replaced with peace, hope, and gratitude.  Yes, I have seen mountains removed."

I, too, have seen mountains removed in my own life and in the lives of those I love.  In fact, I'm surrounded by mountain movers.  I know so many individuals who have so much faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and through Him and His Atonement they have moved mountains.

If you're not sure if your faith in Christ is strong enough to move the mountains in your life, don't worry!  You can strengthen your faith through scripture study, prayer, serving others, obedience to God's commandments, and following the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

Our faith leads us to action.  And sometimes that action can be mountain moving.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful words Hermana Smith, I really needed to hear that today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete