Saturday, February 9, 2013

"How's Your Heart?"

Not too long ago I was in an interview with my mission president.  At the beginning of the interview I asked him if he had anything he wanted to talk to me about.  He said he had just one question for me.  And then he asked me this very simple, yet profound question:  "How's your heart?"

I was shocked.  How could he have known that I had hardened my heart towards him and other mission leaders?  How could he have known that I had allowed anger and frustration to enter into my heart?  How could he have known about the irritation festering in my heart because of some situations I had been put in?

I considered making some comment like, "Well I did have heart burn earlier today."  But I couldn't do it.  He cut down my defenses and humbled me with that 3 word question.

My mission president's inspired question reminded me of some other inspired questions posed by the Prophet Alma in the Book of Mormon:
  • Have ye spiritually been born of God?
  • Have ye received his image in your countenances?
  • Have ye experienced [a] mighty change in your hearts?
  • If ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can you feel so now?
  • Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God?
  • Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble?
  • Are ye stripped of pride?
That day with my mission president I was grateful for the opportunity to evaluate and reflect on the condition of my heart.  And I was filled with gratitude towards my Savior Jesus Christ for the opportunity to repent.  I know that He can change and soften and mold our hearts in such a way that we can become more like Him.  We can all experience a mighty change of heart as we turn towards our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment