Friday, February 1, 2013

Looking Steadfastly Towards Heaven


I am an avid sky watcher.  I love seeing the varying designs and colors of sunrises and sunsets. 



The prophet Alma said, “All things denote there is a God” (Alma 30:44). Every time I look at the sky I am overwhelmed with an assurance that the Great Creator is, in reality, there.



Maybe it is my obsession with looking at the sky that made me notice the following scriptures.  Evidently, I'm not the only one who has a fascination with looking heavenward.

"...and they did look steadfastly towards heaven..." 3 Nephi 11:5
"...and they looked stedfastly toward heaven." Acts 1:10
"But [Stephen], being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God."  Acts 7:55

Looking steadfastly towards heaven.  I love that!  Isn't heaven our goal?  Eternal life with our Heavenly Father, our Savior Jesus Christ, and our families.  But how focused are we on that goal?  How fixed is our gaze?  Are we looking steadfastly?  Or do we only have brief glimpses of our eternal possibilities?



The Savior told us, "And then shall they see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.  And when these things begin to come to pass,  then look up, and lift up your heads, for your redemption draweth nigh."  (Luke 21:27-28)

Christ will come again.  I am anxiously awaiting and preparing for His coming.  Every time I look up at the sky I feel almost as if I am practicing for the day when He will come "in a cloud with power and great glory."

LOOK UP AND LIFT UP YOUR HEAD!

Jesus is the Christ!  He can save us and cleanse us from sin.  He is our source of healing and redemption.  He loves us.  As we turn to the Savior and live the teachings of His gospel, our eyes will begin to be single to the glory of God and we will irresistibly look steadfastly towards heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I love the concept of this blog! I can't wait to read all the insights you have about looking steadfastly towards heaven!

    ReplyDelete