Thursday, October 31, 2013

We Value People (part 5)

The fifth part of my family motto teaches what we can do to strengthen our family relationships.  Through loyalty, laughter, and love we can more fully nurture and enjoy the relationships we have with our families.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland taught that "the crowning characteristic of love is always loyalty."  Our loyalty to our family is a manifestation of our love.  When we are loyal to someone it means that we are faithful and committed to them.  In the context of family relationships, loyalty means looking out for and standing up for your family.  It means being there for them when they are struggling and when they need help.
 
There is an excellent article in the September 2007 Ensign that talks all about the power of laughter.  (I would encourage all of you to read it!)  In this article the author says, "I have learned that the ability to laugh at everyday family difficulties helps keep life in perspective.  If we will learn to laugh and play more with our families, not only will we feel better but so will they."  One of my very favorite things to do with my family is to just talk and visit because I know we are without fail going to end up laughing.  Laughter bonds us as a family and it makes life more enjoyable all around.
 

Okay y'all I have something really embarrassing to admit.  You may wonder how this applies to my family motto, but I promise it relates.  As missionaries we don't get to listen to a large variety of music.  Because of this limitation, my companion and I have resigned ourselves to listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  (It's really not that bad.)  One of the CDs we have been listening to is their 'Showtime' album.  And on that CD there is a song called "Fill the World with Love" that I'm kind of obsessed with.  It drives my companion crazy.  Here's a video of MoTab singing it:


I don't know why, but I am so inspired by this song.  I guess because I want to be able to say at the end of my life that I "filled the world with love my whole life through." We can each do this by speaking kind, uplifting words to others and serving others in thoughtful, meaningful ways.  Elder M. Russell Ballard said:  "There is power in our love for God and for His children, and when that love is tangibly manifest in millions of acts of Christian kindness, it will sweeten and nourish the world with the life-sustaining nectar of faith, hope, and charity." 

No comments:

Post a Comment